Predoctoral Grants / UBICS contratcs / UBICS Collaboration Fellowships
Predoctoral grants are addressed to students that have been enrolled (or waiting for enrolling) in an official doctoral degree programme. The main predoctoral grants for a UB student with the pursuit of a doctoral degree in the fields of technology, engineering, physics, mathematics, life and health sciences are the following ones:
|Application period||October or December/January||June or October||September/October||October||February|
|Funding Institution||State||State||Autonomous||UB||Obra Social "La Caixa"|
- FPU grants (Spanish Ministry of Education) for trainee university teachers and research personnel. Every year 850 FPU grants are offered, 2% of these ones are addressed to students with disabilities equal to or greater than 33%. The gross monthly salary of the grant is 1173 € (12 monthly payments with 2 bonus). More info: here.
- Ph.D. Contracts for Doctors Training or FPI grants (Spanish Ministry of Science, Innovation, and Universities) for trainee research personnel. The annual financial grant is about 20.000€ (gross amount). More info: here.
- Catalan Government FI grants for the recruitment of early-stage research staff. The gross annual salary of the fellow recruited is for the first year 14.400€ and 15.600€ for the second and third year. More info: here.
- University of Barcelona APIF grants for predoctoral research personnel. Every year 56 APIF grants are offered, 1 of these ones are addressed to students with disabilities equal or greater than 33%. The monthly financial grant (gross amount) is 1.173,00 € (14 monthly payments). More info: here.
- ‘La Caixa INPhINIT’ grants for researchers willing to carry out their Ph.D. project in research centers accredited with the Spanish Seal of Excellence Severo Ochoa, María de Maeztu or Health Institute Carlos III. The maximum total payment amount for 3 years is about 120,000 €. More info: here.
Remind that if you want to enjoy any of these grants you need a Master's degree and to be enrolled in an official Doctoral degree programme.
The UBICS Institute works to foster the complex systems’ research facilitating funding to students that are waiting for a predoctoral fellowship (see UBICS contracts section) as well as to students that want to develop their Master degree project with a UBICS member (see UBICS Collaboration Fellowships section).
UBICS also offers contracts to students who have completed their Master and they are waiting for a fellowship to start their PhD (at the UB) with a UBICS member.
The UBICS Institute normally offers 3-4 contracts with the following features:
- Dedication 15 hours, period September-December, monthly financial grant (gross amount) 740 € (gross salary).
- Dedication 10 hours, period September-December, monthly financial grant (gross amount) 500 € (gross salary).
The application opens every June-July. PhD supervisors, who are also members of the UBICS, will have the responsibility for announcing these contracts.
UBICS Collaboration Fellowships
Every year the Institute offers 4 UBICS Collaboration Scholarships (Beques de Col·laboració) with two requirements:
- Master student (or to be enrolled) to one of the following Masters:
- Atomistic and Multiscale Computational Modelling in Physics, Chemistry, and Biochemistry.
- Fundamental Principles in Data Science.
- Cognitive Science and Language.
- Inter-university Master's Degree in Artificial Intelligence.
2. A commitment to developing the Master project with a UBICS member.
The details of these fellowships are the following ones:
- 2 UBICS Scholarships, dedication 15 hours, period February-July 2019, monthly financial grant (gross amount) 370.20 €.
- 2 UBICS Scholarships, dedication 25 hours, period February-July 2019, monthly financial grant (gross amount) 617.00 €.